Changes now allow for more daytime use of VPN and video streaming data
The nbn Sky Muster Plus service now includes more data than ever before with major changes set to benefit households and small business across Australia.
As of 1 July 2022, people connected to a nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite service can access Virtual Private Networks (VPN) and video streaming for 16 hours a day – between 12am (midnight) and 4pm1- without it counting toward their monthly data allowance. Previously all VPN and video streaming counted towards a person’s monthly data allowance, regardless of the time of day.
This means between the hours of 4pm and 12am midnight, only video streaming and VPN use will count towards a user’s monthly data allowance. 1&2&4. All other activities like online shopping, emails, and internet banking, audio streaming, video calling, and Wi-Fi calling will not to count towards a user’s monthly data allowance for the full 24 hours a day. 1&2&4
This is a major improvement for customers and responds to their calls for more data. The improvements will also come at no extra wholesale cost.
nbn Chief Development Officer, Regional and Remote Gavin Williams said:
“Access to fast and reliable broadband plays a vital role in the lives of people across Australia and broadband demand has continued to grow.
“The introduction of more daytime use of VPN and video streaming data on the nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite service is a game changer. It will mean people have more flexibility to work from home, access sites such as YouTube that support remote learning or enjoy their favourite TV shows. 1&2
“These changes make managing data simpler and give customers freedom and peace of mind to do more with their data.
“As Australia’s digital backbone, nbn is always working to meet customer needs. The changes follow extensive consultation with customers, communities, and stakeholders, who all said they wanted more data.
“We will continue to listen to customers and stakeholders and evolve our service as their needs change”.
Kristy Sparrow, Co-Founder of Better Internet for Regional Rural and
Remote Australian said:
“It has never been more important for Australians, no matter where they live or work, to be connected.
“The changes will allow nbn Sky Muster Plus users to have more flexibility to use their satellite connection during the daytime, with fewer data constraints.
“This will help transform regional users’ ability to access connectivity that meets their needs and keeps up with current data demands.
“BIRRR has advocated very strongly for nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite plans to be enhanced and we are pleased that this advocacy has resulted in better plans for small business, health and education in the bush.”
New customers and existing nbn Sky Muster customers can enquire about upgrading to a nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite service by calling a preferred internet service provider that provides nbn Sky Muster Plus. For existing nbn Sky Muster Plus users, the changes will automatically be applied.
nbn Sky Muster and nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite equipment is professionally installed and maintained. nbn does not charge internet service providers for an initial standard installation or the standard satellite equipment.
The first nbn Sky Muster satellite was launched in 2015. The nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite service launched in 2019.
With the introduction of the changes, nbn has also introduced three tips to help people to get more out of their nbn Sky Muster Plus satellite service.
• Check if nbn Sky Muster is right for you – The nbn Sky Muster satellite service covers regional and remote areas in mainland Australia and Tasmania, and remote islands and is a great option for homes and small businesses.4 Check in with services like the Regional Tech Hub and with your preferred retail provider to see if it will meet your needs.
• Choose the right plan– nbn Sky Muster Plus is available through a range of retail service providers who can offer you a range of plans with monthly data allowances for video streaming and VPN use between 4pm and 12pm midnight, to suit your needs. 1&2&4 Check the nbn website to find a retail provider that suits you.
• Data smarter – To help get even more from your monthly data allowance, you can do things like download your favourite TV shows and movies before 4pm to watch them later, adjusting play back settings on video streaming services and turning off auto play settings for websites that have embedded streaming content when using them between 4pm and 12am midnight.
The Australian Government is providing $480 million towards the nbn Fixed Wireless and Satellite Upgrade Program.
To learn more visit www.nbn.com.au/skymusterplus
1. Exclusions and fair use conditions apply. If you’re accessing your connection via a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between 4pm and 12am midnight, all activities will count towards your monthly data allowance. For more information on which traffic may be shaped to proactively protect the nbn™ broadband access and ensure fair access to the network for all users, and exclusions, visit nbnco.com.au/skymuster-plus or speak to your internet service provider. For details on fair use conditions, contact your internet service provider.
2. Note that, to proactively protect and ensure the fair access to the nbn™ broadband access network for all users, nbn may from time to time, at its discretion, shape the following data activities to maximum wholesale upload and download speeds of 256kbps:
• uploads and downloads via peer to peer;
• uploads and downloads to cloud storage platforms;
• PC and smartphone operating system updates;
• software/application updates;
• gaming software updates;
• any other data traffic related to applications which nbn cannot identify.
Other data applications that nbn considers may cause adverse network impacts may also be added to the above list to be shaped, including streaming video
and VPN outside of 4pm and 12am midnight.
3. nbn will assess whether an installation is standard, because practical and optimal installations differ at different locations. End customers should contact their preferred internet service provider to ask about the retail prices they charge.
4. nbn provides wholesale services to phone and internet providers. nbn™ wholesale plans and speed tiers available to providers vary depending on the access technology in your area. Your experience, including the speeds actually achieved over the nbn™ broadband access network, depends on the nbn™ access network technology and configuration over which services are delivered to your premises, whether you are using the internet during the busy period, and some factors outside of nbn’s control (like your equipment quality and software, chosen broadband plan, signal reception, or how your provider designs its network). Satellite end users may also experience latency.